Review: Magical Mystery Tour

I had nearly four hours to spare when I set out for a 'secret' open air party on Saturday... but in the end, I only managed to spend about half an hour there. I guess you could say I got a bit sidetracked along the way. I set out for the party by bike at around 4:00 p.m., wanting to catch some exercise and sun en route to Koepenick.

About 15 minutes into the bike ride, the concrete plattenbauten magically turned into an endless field of countryside bliss. Bushy trees nestled under hills and one of the 3000 Berliner lakes glimmered modestly in the centre of a hidden valley.

I told myself that I'd just stop for a minute to appreciate the shade of the waterside trees but lost track of time. Easily done when there's no one around and just another pretty vista around another mysterious bend to pull you forward. 

It was quiet enough by the lake side that when I spotted a newly-minted toad clambering through the grass, it wasn't the least bit freaked out by the sight of a passing human giant.  

But then again, even the weeds took on gargantuan proportions next to the inch long amphibian. I'm sure she was used to be dwarfed by, um, everything on Earth!

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find a toadstool not too long after that. By then I was heading away from the lake and into a pine forest, but you have to admit that there was a little bit of synchronicity going on, there. Toad led me to a toadstool, which led me to a hippy that was bending down to pick the red mushroom a few minutes later.  And following him through the trees, he led me to an openair party in a clearing.  Sorted!

It was almost as if the amanita's ethereal red cap was a beacon marking the spot...

The air glowed slightly over the clearing as the sun mingled with the light haze rising from the damp earth. People were sprawled under the trees, relaxing to funky minimal and Balkan beats after their trek from the city. I sank gratefully to the ground to rest my aching legs, checked my phone for messages.... and then realized that I had to leave in 20 minutes to meet my friend.
We returned there later but the party ended before 10:00 p.m. This was probably for the best; sometimes, having too many people around can mean the magic gets trampled underfoot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preview: It's "Garbicz", Not Garbage!

Review: Gegen 8ternity @ KitKat Club

Demo Diary: Black Lives Matter, Everywhere. Period.